Digitization of training
“Tell me and I forget
teach me and I may remember
involve me and I learn.”
VTE is a virtual reality training system that responds to expectations related to Industry 4.0.
Thanks to VTE, we will transform your traditional employee training and instructions into fully interactive applications. Your employees will be able to perform and learn without any risk all processes, procedures, and activities necessary for everyday work. Without time or territorial limit and qualified training staff present.
The VTE system reduces the cost of training and significantly accelerates the acquisition of knowledge by trainees.
Watch virtual training example
One of the most effective ways to prepare training in virtual reality is to base them on scenarios.
Preparation of training scenarios specifies well the client’s demands and reduces the costs of training. Scenarios are prepared together with the client or entirely by the AppsBow crew and then audited by the client.
The training in the VTE system is carried out according to scenarios constructed on the basis of traditional training materials, the information provided by the client and their local vision. The training we offer are of high quality for the inclusion of all, even the smallest, details of each device, object, and action.
In addition to training for field operators, we also reproduce in VTE control systems, so that employees acquire knowledge also in regard to control units and process systems.
The VTE system enables single and multi-user training in a cooperation mode.
Single-user training – one person performs the given training, even in the case of activities planned for several employees. If there is a need for action by others, they are replaced by virtual assistants supported by artificial intelligence.
Multi-person training – the training is performed by two or more people. Multi-person training in cooperation mode is possible via a local network or internet connection – this enables cooperation between people from different places in the world. In addition, this form of training includes also the option of voice and text connection for communication between VTE system users.
Training enables also the active participation of a supervisor for running control and assistance.
In the VTE system the employee is prepared in a simple three-step way. Each user have a possibility to choose one of three training modes:
- Basic – the system presents the correct performance of the scenario / procedure.
- Assisted mode – the system indicates the next steps to be taken by the training participant and locates areas of action to the required interactions.
- Exam mode – the system does not provide any hints or tips, training participants must perform the tasks completely by themselves.
Division of training into stages is aimed at reaching effective acquisition of knowledge by the user of the VTE system.
Emergency situations training
The VTE system enables reproducing emergency situations, which are often impossible to simulate in reality.
Preparation of emergency situations scenarios related to e.g. accidents at industrial plants will prepare the employee for special conditions – with a significantly higher risk and stress level. The VTE system is designed to develop appropriate responses in crisis situations. The aim is to speed up the implementation of appropriate actions, thereby reducing the risk of negative consequences of an accident or preventing it completely.
Using VTE we aim at reducing the risk of human error factor (70 to 90%*) to residual values.
In addition, the solution we offer can train many types of personnel, including emergency services such as fire brigades, etc., which enables also simulations of the entire preventive and/or rescue operation.
* Acc. a research article: “Designing issues of the alarm system in the context of functional safety and human factors”
Kosmowski Kazimierz T., Gdansk University of Technology, Gdansk, Poland
SCORM 2004 ready
“Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) defines a specific way of constructing Learning Management Systems (LMSs) and training content so that they work well with other SCORM conformant systems.” Source: www.scorm.com
Our VTE System fully supports SCORM 2004 format and thanks to that our clients can easily implement into the e-learning platforms based on SCORM format.
Three main reasons give big advantages to use SCORM 2004:
- Separating the course content from the platform, which results in its universality in the application.
- Courses can be embedded in any e-learning platform compatible with SCORM 2004.
- The change and development of your e-learning system do not require you to redesign your courses.
At the client’s request, we offer also an implementation of an e-learning platform along with content, as well as VR training.
VTE ADM is a system that tracks the progress made by trainees.
VTE Admin collects, among others, information such as:
- System logins.
- Started training.
- Correctly / incorrectly completed training.
- Mistakes made.
- Time of completing the training.
Additionally, all the results are presented in the form of both: text and graphic charts, which makes the interpretation of the data and presentation of progress much easier.
The system has the option of exporting results to PDF / XML. VTE ADM has the option of integration with current customer systems for data acquisition and transfer.
In addition, VTE ADM has a ranking system that shows the best results of training participants in selected categories. The ranking is aimed at motivating employees to compete and thus achieve better results.
We have gained our experience working on projects for the refining, chemical, and heavy industries. We created, among others:
- A training system for parts of a refinery installation which included handling individual devices as well as starting and shutting down the plant.
- System for handling chemical plants such as ammonia storage facility and Urea-Ammonium Nitrate solution storage and handling facilities.
- We made solutions for the heavy industry: measuring systems, operating manufacturing machines, etc.
Some of our clients include: Lotos Group, Grupa Azoty, Agrochem, Primetals Technologies Austria.
How do we do it?
By creating our software, we try to relieve the client of the executive process. This is possible thanks to our experience that we have gained in numerous implementations of training for industrial companies.
We design training according to the following stages:
- identifying customer needs as well as internal training procedures
- collecting materials:
- operating instructions
- 3D files (cad / stp / stl / dgn / dwg / dng / obj etc.)
- local site visit including:
- taking photos, recording videos
- possible making 3D scans
- scenario building
- preparation of 3D models
- audit (of the models) made by the customer and implementing possible changes
- entering scenarios into the VTE system
- audit of scenarios by the customer and implementing possible changes
- implementation of the VTE system with VTE Admin for the customer
Benefits of VTE System
1. Reduce training costs.
2. Decrease the time of training and increase its effectiveness.
3. Increase the safety of the work environment thanks to better and more comprehensively prepared employees.
4. Facilitate the training of unqualified staff and new employees before they enter plants, without taking any risk during training.
5. Enable a constant improvement of employees’ emergency situations preparedness.
6. Provide permanent and free access to training.
7. Relieving a part of the human resources related to employee training – training does not require constant and qualified supervision during the whole process.
Effectiveness confirmed by research
From the research of Professor Kazimierz T. Kosmowski (Gdansk University of Technology, Gdansk, Poland) we know that 70 to 90% of accidents on plants are caused by the human factor.
These results give us the basis to establish how important it is to properly train our employees in order to minimize the likelihood of them making both smaller as well as critical mistakes.
Analyzing this topic in more detail, we can look at the data from HP Special Report – Clean Fuels, by T. Ayran and P. DE Jonge, where it is noted that in the U.S. process plants lose over $ 20 billion a year because of abnormal situations. 8 billion $ (40%) of losses are caused directly by insufficient knowledge and employee errors.
Digitization of training is already a tested solution. We can give here as an example a digitized training for operators called Operator Training Simulators (OTS), which gives the following benefits:
- Half of the incidents that were either caused by human or made more severe by error will be eliminated.
- A quarter of the incidents that may have been made more severe by human error will be eliminated.
- The benefit for a refinery should, therefore, be calculated to be a reduction in plant downtime of 15%.
But how does this apply to introduce virtual reality?
In the article from ScienceDaily titled “People recall information better through virtual reality” prepared on the basis of research carried out at the University of Maryland we can read:
“The researchers found that people remember information better if it is presented to them in a virtual environment. The results of the study were recently published in the journal Virtual Reality.”
“(…) immersive environments could offer new pathways for improved outcomes in education and high-proficiency training”
Amitabh Varshney, professor of computer science and dean of the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences at UMD.
Similar theses are also confirmed by Charles E. Baukal, Jr. and Lynna J. Ausburn in the article “Verbal- visual preferences of working engineers” wherein the summary we can read:
“(…) instructional designs for continuing engineering education should be highly visual.”
The effectiveness of training and shortening their time depend on many factors. However, based on many studies, we know that the introduction of virtual training in each case results in increasing the training effectiveness and reduction of costs connected with the training process itself, as well as with the consequences, as the risk factor is reduced.
Thanks to the virtual reality training system, we want to improve security in the workplace thanks to better and more adequately trained employees.
Due to the above, in 2013 we decided to constantly develop our training systems, which resulted in creating Virtual Training Environment (VTE).
VTE TDS - Training Distribution System
For clients who have their distribution network and for training companies we offer preparation of a solution with the possibility to redistribute the training through the VTE TDS system, which enables supervision over their distribution and access, as well as payment control.
VTE TDS is a distribution system that enables integration with payment systems, accountants, as well as CRM systems, etc.
VTE TDS options include:
- Providing training for a definite and indefinite period.
- Giving access to specific training modules for a given company/user group/individual units.
- Full statistics of usage by a client/group/user.
- Contact and exchange of information on the customer – distributor line.
- Providing commercial information directly to the system.
- Payment management.
- Integration with other client-distributor systems.
Devices and operating systems
We build the VTE system based on the largest possible optimization in terms of the required computer parameters as well as for devices such as smartphones or tablets. Most of the training we prepare can work even on basic laptops thanks to good optimization and providing graphics quality control options.
VTE completely supports Virtual Reality helmets such as Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, VR Pimax 5K XR, etc. as well as related pointing devices such as Oculus Touch and it enables implementation of the Leap Motion.
VTE can be implemented for Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, Apple iOS, iPadOS, OHA Android and Linux operating systems.
Implementation of the solution is quick and simple, in most cases, it does not take more than a few days.
For our future clients, we have created a demo version of the system which shows the possibilities of virtual training on the example of several installations and procedures.
We believe that the possibility to check the VTE system through the demo version will help in understanding the potential of the new training approach.
To download the demo, please proceed to the form below.